WHEN You're Praying for More, But Not Preparing for It-The Architecture of Alignment
And somewhere between the morning routine and the first meeting of the week, there's something you've been carrying. A quiet want. A prayer you keep returning to for a better role, more income, greater responsibility, clearer direction on what comes next.
You've prayed about it. You believe it will happen. You trust that, in time, things will shift. That is not what I want to talk about today.
The question I want to sit with is this: Are you preparing for what you are asking for?
Where the Disconnect Lives
"God's time is the best" is one of those things that is both deeply true and very easy to misuse.
It is true in the sense that there are things outside our control; timing, access, the convergence of circumstance that we simply cannot engineer. But there is a version of that phrase that functions less like faith and more like an exit. A way to stay comfortable with inaction while still feeling spiritually covered.
The honest version of the conversation goes like this.
You say you want more, but you haven't actually defined what "more" means in specific, usable terms. You say you want growth, but you haven't spent serious time studying what the next level actually requires of you; the skills, the visibility, the way you need to show up differently.
You say you're waiting, but if someone looked at your calendar, your reading list, the questions you've been asking, nothing there would suggest that you're in preparation mode.
It looks like patience from the outside. But underneath, there's no structure. No intentional movement toward the thing you're asking for.
Faith and preparation are not the same thing, and collapsing them into each other has cost a lot of people a lot of time.
The Clarity Problem
I see this clearly in the workplace, and honestly, I've lived versions of it myself.
People want to grow. That is rarely the issue. The ambition is present. The desire is genuine. But when you get into the specifics, the conversation starts to drift.
What role are you targeting next? What does it require beyond what you're already doing? What have you started doing differently in the last six months to close the gap?
The answers are usually vague and it is not because the person isn't capable, but because they haven't pressed themselves past desire into clarity. They're holding a general direction without a map.
And here is why that matters: you cannot prepare for something you have not clearly defined. If the goal is still a feeling: I just want more, I want things to be different; there is nothing concrete enough to work toward. Nothing to study, nothing to practice, no specific gap to close.
Clarity is not the finish line
Clarity is not the finish line. It is the starting point. You do not get to skip it.
Alignment Is Practical, Not Spiritual
When I talk about alignment, I don't mean it in the abstract, vision-board sense. I mean something very simple: does your current effort match the level you say you want?
If you want to lead people, are you making decisions when the opportunity presents itself, or are you still defaulting to waiting until someone tells you what to do? If you want to earn more, can you clearly articulate the results you're producing, not just your job description, but your actual impact? If you want to transition into a new space, have you spent real time understanding that space beyond surface-level curiosity?
These questions are not designed to be discouraging. They're designed to be useful. Because the answers tell you exactly where the work is.
What the Scriptures Actually Show Us
There is a narrative that faith is about waiting and there is truth in that. But the examples we often draw on tell a more layered story.
David didn't walk onto the battlefield with Goliath as a beginner. He had already been practising. Years of tending sheep, of learning how to use a sling with precision, of developing the kind of courage that grows through smaller encounters first. When the moment came, he wasn't starting from zero.
Esther didn't step into influence unprepared. There was a process, months of preparation, positioning, and counsel from someone wiser before she walked into the king's court to make her request.
Joseph didn't wait for the right title before he worked with excellence. In Potiphar's house. In the prison. In every circumstance that was not the one he prayed for, he built something. He demonstrated capacity consistently enough that when the elevation came, it was almost a formality.
The common thread is not passive waiting. It is productive readiness. They worked until they were ready, in every season they were placed in.
Why Smart, Capable People Still Feel Stuck
There's a specific kind of stuckness that I want to name, because I think it's more common than we admit.
You're showing up. You're doing your job. You're performing at the level expected of you. But nothing is shifting, no new opportunities, no visibility, no movement. And the longer it goes on, the easier it becomes to land on: maybe it's just not my time.
Sometimes, that is the honest answer. Timing is real. But there is another question worth asking before you arrive there: what have I actively done to position myself for the next level? Not what have I wished for, not what I believe I deserve but what have I actually done?
Because here is what I've observed, in others and in myself: opportunity does not respond to desire. It responds to demonstrated capacity. To evidence that you can handle what you're asking for. Desire signals interest. Preparation signals readiness. And readiness is what gets noticed.
What Preparation Actually Looks Like in Practice
None of this has to be dramatic or overwhelming. Preparation is specific and it is consistent, those are its two defining qualities.
It looks like identifying one gap that matters and working on it deliberately, not just acknowledging it exists. It looks like asking the right questions and not fishing for reassurance, but genuinely seeking to understand what advancement at the next level actually requires. It looks like studying people who are already operating where you want to be, paying attention not just to their credentials but to how they think and behave. It looks like documenting your work with enough intentionality that you can speak clearly about your contributions when the moment demands it.
None of that is complicated. But it is the difference between people who move forward and people who stay exactly where they are, year after year, still waiting for their time.
The Shift
There is a reframe that changes everything and this is not in the abstract, but in how you literally use your days.
"I am waiting for my time" becomes "I am preparing for my time."
That shift changes your relationship with the in-between. You stop measuring time by how long things are taking and start measuring progress by how much you are building. The waiting season becomes a building season.
And when opportunity shows up, which it usually does without warning, through a conversation or a referral or a door that opens faster than you expected, you don't scramble. You step in.
Before You Close This
God's time is the best. I believe that without reservation. But the same faith that trusts the timing must also take responsibility for the preparation.
So before the week gets away from you, sit with these three questions:
What exactly am I preparing for in specific, concrete terms?
What is genuinely missing in my current capacity?
What am I doing about it?
You don't need to fix everything at once. But you do need to start somewhere real. Because elevation is not just something that happens to you. It is something you have to be ready to receive. And readiness is built, not wished for.
With intention,
Julia π
Stay Connected
If this reflection resonated with you, you may enjoy these other WHEN Series reflections:
You can also subscribe to receive new reflections whenever a new post is published.
This piece is part of The WHEN Series writing on the in-between seasons of growth, leadership, and becoming. Published on Mondays.

Comments
Post a Comment